Mechanical engineering IT Support is here to help. We are located in CB 163 and sometimes in EB 360N. Making an IT support ticket on this website will ensure all IT personnel can assist you. If this is urgent, you may call 801-422-8657 or contact the IT manager, James Christensen.

FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions and Requests)
Definitions of Common CSR Terminology/Lingo
Definitions of Common CSR Terminology/Lingo
    • Mechanical Engineering Computer Support Representative.
  • Computer Imaging -
    • When we ask you about imaging your computer, we mean that we created a clone or "image" of a computer that already has all the latest software and updates installed and uploaded it to our Imaging server. With our server, we use a FOG imaging server, we can download that image to any computer in the ME Network (this is sometimes referred to as dropping an image) so that it's setup like a fresh new computer within an hour or so, rather than starting from scratch and taking a day or two on each computer.
  • Support Request -
    • Formerly, and still sometimes referred to as, support ticket. We use these requests to keep track of who needs help, where, when, and why. We ask you to make these requests, even after you told us about the problem, becuase otherwise it is very difficult to remember who asked for what where, and we don't want to chance forgetting anyone.
Can I get more RAM, a new monitor, or a new computer?
Can I get more RAM, a new monitor, or a new computer?
  • ME Computer Support does not fund or provide any new hardware to students. If you are a graduate student, your research advisor is the one who is in charge of buying you any additional hardware that you need to do your research. If your research advisor approves of the hardware upgrades, they can make an order through
How do I remote into my computer from off-campus?
How to remote into a windows computer from off-campus
  • Preface
    •  This only applies to computers that you have a personal login for. You CANNNOT and SHOULD NOT attempt this with open lab CAEDM account computers (Like CB110 or the FB220-caedm computers).
    • You can use these instructions to remote in from off-campus OR from another on-campus computer.

  • Part 1 – Set Up Your Windows Lab Computer​
  1. Determine the name of your computer (Typically the same as the ME property tag label on the front of your computer) (Instructions here)
  2. Have an administrator account with a password. There are 2 general account types:

• Local account (no e-mail associated with login)

• Microsoft account (e-mail associated with login)

  1. Determine the UserName of your administrator account

• For local accounts, it’s the name of your user folder in C:\Users

• For Microsoft accounts, it’s your e-mail address

  1. Enable Remote Desktop (Instructions here)
  2. Configure your PC to never sleep (Instructions here)​​
  3. Your computer needs to be in our network configurations system (called “MAD”). Only CSR’s can access MAD. If you still can’t connect after following the following instructions, your PC may not be configured in MAD. Create a Support Request and ask us to check.
  • Part 2 – Set Up Your Home Computer
    1. On Windows, hit the start/windows button, search for “remote desktop connection”, and open it.


       2. Configure Remote Desktop Connection to connect to BYU’s Remote Desktop (RD) Gateway:


       3.  ​Enter your computer's name in the computer name field with the suffix, then click Connect:

       4. Enter your RD Gateway Server Credentials:

  • byu\[netID]
  • [netID password]  

       5. Enter your Lab Computer's Credentials:

a.  For local accounts:

[computer name]\[UserName from Part 1, step 3]

[user password]

b. For Microsoft Accounts:

MicrosoftAccount\[your account email]

[your account password]


Click the "Show Options" to configure other options like multiple monitors, and to save the connection settings into a desktop shortcut, so you can just click an icon to open the remote connection.​


Create a Support Request