Need computer support?

Mechanical engineering IT Support is here to help. We are located in CB 163. Making an IT support ticket on this website will ensure all IT personnel can assist you. If this is urgent, you may call 801-422-8657 or contact the IT manager, Shawn Ward.

Create New Support Request

FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions and Requests)

What services do we provide?

  • Reset passwords on ME computers.
  • Install software onto ME computers. We keep installers and licenses for many common engineering programs. 
  • Update and maintain the department's lab computers, monitors, and old sticky mice.
  • Provide general computer support for ME students and computers.

Definitions of Common CSR Terminology/Lingo

  • CSR - Computer Support Representative.
  • Computer Imaging - Imaging a computer means to create a clone or "image" of a computer/ This image may already have software and updates installed. We can download that image to any computer in the ME Network (this is sometimes referred to as dropping an image). This is so we can set a fresh new computer within an hour or so, rather than starting from scratch and taking a day or two on each computer.
  • Support Request - We use these requests to keep track of who needs help, where, when, and why. We ask you to make these requests even after you told us about the problem, because otherwise it is very difficult to remember who asked for what where, and we don't want to chance forgetting anyone or important details.

Can I get a new monitor or a new computer?

  • ME Computer Support does not fund or provide any new hardware to students.
  • FOR STUDENTS CONDUCTING RESEARCH FOR PROFESSORS: If your research requires newer hardware to handle any necessary processing power, your research advisor is the one in charge of buying you that newer hardware. If your research advisor approves of the hardware upgrades, they can make an order through Otherwise, if you don't need newer hardware for your research, you may request a used computer or monitor from us (including cables, keyboards, and mice).

How do I remote into my computer from off-campus?

See How do I remote into my computer from off-campus?

Do you provide support for personal computers?

We do not distribute software to personal computers. We do not fund or provide any new hardware to students. At most, we can provide general use advice for personal computers.